Series Two (1989-90)
2.01 / 2.02 /
2.03 / 2.04 /
2.05 / 2.06 /
2.07X / 2.08 /
2.10 / 2.11 /
2.12 / 2.13 /
2.14 / 2.15 /
2.16C / 2.17C
(C = Compilation, X = Christmas Edition)
First Broadcast: November 10, 1989 - Intro
Greg Proops, Josie Lawrence, Tony Slattery, Mike McShane
Winner: Greg Proops.
- Authors: "Rambo had a sore toe and he was stopped for drunk driving". Greg - Earl Hamner, Jr., Josie - Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Tony - Air Hostess Training Manual, Mike - The Rosetta Stone.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two inventors with their invention - Greg & Tony. Macbeth, Disaster, Carry On (Tony) and Cookery Show (Greg).
- Film and Theatre Styles: A theatrical agent discovering a star in the street - Josie & Mike. Religious, Tarzan, Children's Television.
- Song Styles: Hosepipe/Garden Hose. Mike (Blues), Josie (Edith Piaf).
- World's Worst: Person to be marooned on a desert island with.
- Rap: Cooking.
- Explanations: The existence of God. Tony & Josie - Two 6-year-olds, Greg & Mike - two American construction workers.
- American Musical: Making chocolate cakes, flying to Paris, and doing the washing up.
Credits: As Elvis Costello.
First Broadcast: November 17, 1989 - Intro
Archie Hahn, Josie Lawrence, Tony Slattery, John Sessions
Winner: Tony Slattery.
- Authors: "Sheep Rearing in the Orkney Isles". Archie - Mickey Spillane, Josie - Lewis Carroll, Tony - type of person who mistranslates European pornography, John - Liverpool Poets.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Patient going to see a doctor - Josie & Tony. Surrealist, Epic (Gone with the Wind), Greek Tragedy, Cartoon.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Complaining to a waiter - Archie & John. Disney Wildlife, American Soap Opera.
- World's Worst: Person to be an entertainer at a childrens' party.
- Sound Effects: Cleaning up. Tony acts, Archie SFX.
- Song Styles: Ironing Board. Josie (Reggae), John (Leonard Cohen).
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Josie - thinks she is a man, Archie - TV Evangelist, John - Astronaut.
Credits: "Night Thoughts".
First Broadcast: November 24, 1989 - Intro
Ron West, Griff Rhys Jones, Paul Merton, John Sessions
Winner: Griff Rhys Jones.
- Authors: "An Englishman and an Australian batsman meet Captain Pugwash". Ron - William Goldman, Griff - Edward Lear, Paul - Nostradamus, John - Philip Larkin.
- Film and Theatre Styles: The last two people on earth - John & Griff. Noel Coward, Spaghetti Western, Silent Movie.
- Film and Theatre Styles: In a joke shop - Ron & Paul. Andy Warhol, Rocky XX, Tom & Jerry, Horror.
- World's Worst: Entertainment act.
- Props: John & Paul - Bouncy ball, Ron & Griff - Hoop.
- Remote Control: Wildlife. Ron - Twilight Zone, Griff - In At The Deep End, Paul - Points of View, John - Tutti Frutti.
- Party Quirks: Ron hosts. Paul - Must name a fish in every sentence, Griff - slowly turning into a dog, John - Bavarian Folk Dancer.
Credits: As Frankie Howard.
First Broadcast: December 8, 1989 - Intro
Greg Proops, Josie Lawrence, Paul Rider, Mike McShane
Winner: Mike McShane.
- Authors: "The Temptation of Going to the Supermarket and Meeting an Old Lady". Greg - Cherokee Oral Tradition, Josie - D.H. Lawrence, Paul - Ted Hughes, Mike - Hollywood Gossip Columnist.
- Film and Theatre Styles: A couple on their wedding anniversary - Paul & Josie. Spaghetti Western, Silent Movie, Children's Programme.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two surgeons - Greg & Mike. Soap Opera, Horror.
- Song Styles: Food processor. Mike (Rock & Roll), Josie (Spanish Flamenco).
- World's Worst: Thing to say at a wedding.
- Props: Greg & Josie - white bag on a string, Paul & Mike - hinged cake racks.
- Party Quirks: Greg hosts. Paul - Male Model, Josie - Over Enthusiastic, Mike - Writes Commercials.
- Musical: Smoking, having a curry and becoming Prime Minister.
Credits: As Brian Blessed.
First Broadcast: December 15, 1989 - Intro
Ryan Stiles, Sandi Toksvig, Tony Slattery, John Sessions
Winner: Tony Slattery.
- Authors: "A Shopping Trip to buy Moby Dick". Ryan - Author of a Cosmopolitan Magazine-type thing, Sandi - Ed McBain, Tony - Sunday Colour Supplement Gadget Catalogue, John - Virginia Wolfe.
- Tag: Starts with John in Yoga position, Ryan on all fours.
- Expert: Tony interviews Ryan, an expert on (the metamorphosis of) frogs.
- Interview: Sandi interviews Zeus (John) - Desert Islands Discs.
- World's Worst: Person to lead an army into battle.
- Props: John & Sandi - gate, Ryan & Tony - diving flipper.
- Party Quirks: Sandi hosts. Tony - Character from "The Great Escape", Ryan - Thinks he is an insect, John - Pretentious student poet.
- Remote Control: Sheep shearing. Ryan - The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, Sandi - Body Matters, Tony - Jim'll Fix It, John - The Sky At Night.
Credits: As David Attenborough.
First Broadcast: December 22, 1989 - Intro
Ron West, Jimmy Mulville, Paul Merton, John Sessions
Winner: Ron West
- Authors: "Goat Herding in Lemington Spar". Ron - DC Comics, Jimmy - Sigmund Freud, Paul - Edgar Allen Poe, John - The Diaries of Andy Warhol.
- Film and Theatre Styles: One (of Ron & Paul) asking the other for their daughter's hand in marriage. Sam Peckinpah, Slapstick/Keystone Cops, One Woman Show, Coming Soon Trailer.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two people planning a bank robbery/raid - Jimmy & John. Music Hall, Medieval Mystery Play, Come Dancing, Nativity.
- Interview: Ron interviews Neptune (John) - Literary Magazine.
- Interview: Paul interviews Claudius (Jimmy) - DIY Magazine.
- World's Worst: Chat-up Line.
- Props: Paul & John - surfboard, Ron & Jimmy - smoking pipe/horn.
- Film Dub: Paul & Ron.
- Party Quirks: Paul hosts. Ron - Nine Year Old Genius, Jimmy - S.A.S. Commando, John - Australian Soap Opera Actor.
Credits: As somebody on Death Row.
First Broadcast: December 29, 1989 (Running Time: 45 minutes) - Intro
2.07 (Christmas Edition)
Greg Proops, Josie Lawrence, Paul Merton, Sandi Toksvig, Tony Slattery, Mike McShane
- Authors: "Santa gets lost on the London Underground". Greg - C. Clement Moore, Sandi - Jane Asher's Book of Party Cakes, Tony - Child's Letter to Santa, Mike - Robert Heinlen.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Carol Singer arriving at somebody's house - Josie & Paul. Hitchcock, Pantomime, Science Fiction, Disaster.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Child (Greg) meeting the real Santa (Mike). Romance, Western, Laurel & Hardy, Beach Movie.
- Song Styles: Crackers. Mike (Jazz), Josie (Swiss Yodelling), Mike & Josie (Music Hall).
- Rap: Hangovers.
- Party Quirks: Sandi hosts. Greg - Verbalises all his thoughts, Paul - True Love on the 12th Day of Christmas, Tony & Josie - Front & Back end of a Pantomime Horse, Mike - US TV Christmas Special.
- World's Worst: Person to come and visit you when you're in hospital at Christmas.
- Props: Paul & Mike - Japanese folding fans, Josie & Sandi - Paper Christmas tree, Greg & Tony - Christmas Pudding.
- Musical Producers: Swimming, overeating, and stuffing. Paul & Sandi discuss, Josie, Mike, Tony & Greg perform.
Credits: As Christmas Carollers.
First Broadcast: January 5, 1990 - Intro
Ryan Stiles, Josie Lawrence, Neil Mullarkey, Mike McShane
Winner: Ryan Stiles
- Film and Theatre Styles: The first two people on Earth - Josie & Neil. Gangster, Science Fiction, Neighbours, Western.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two people on a plane - Ryan & Mike. Tennessee Williams, Horror, War and Peace, Vaudeville.
- Song Styles: Cheese Grater. Mike (Boogie Woogie), Josie (Kurt Weill).
- World's Worst: Person to be auditioning to be in a "soap suds" commercial.
- Props: Neil & Mike - film canister, Ryan & Josie - tubular bin.
- Film Dub: A couple of flatmates talking about two extra friends who will be joining them in the house.
- Party Quirks: Neil hosts. Ryan - Bad stand-up comedian, Josie - Thinks she's come to a prenatal class, Mike - Rock band roadie.
- American Musical: World War II Aeroplanes, a caretaker in a school, and winning the pools.
Credits: As Clint Eastwood.
First Broadcast: January 12, 1990 - Intro
Archie Hahn, Jonathan Pryce, Paul Merton, John Sessions
Winner: Archie Hahn
- Authors: "Death of a Dog at the British Grand Prix". Archie - Alice Walker, Jonathan - The Diaries of Noel Coward, Paul - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, John - J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Interrogating a prisoner - Jonathan & John. Open University, Checkov, Science Fiction B Movie.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Going to see an undertaker - Archie & Paul. Batman, Thunderbirds, Pathe News.
- Props: John & Paul - Strainer, Archie & Jonathan - bag with tube attached.
- Sound Effects: Starting/Working on a car. Paul acts, Archie SFX.
- Interview: Archie interviews Moses (John) - Hard Hitting Documentary.
- Film Dub: "Supermarket" - Paul & Jonathan.
- Party Quirks: Paul hosts. Archie - Jealous Lover, Jonathan - A Pirate, John - Sumo Wrestler.
Credits: As an American Gangster Movie.
First Broadcast: January 19, 1990 - Intro
Lee Simpson, Jan Ravens, Tony Slattery, Mike McShane
Winner: Lee Simpson
- Authors: "A Dabchick by the Riverbank (Meets a Speech Therapist)". Lee - T.E. Lawrence, Jan - The Duchess of York, Tony - A Package Holiday Brochure, Mike - Joseph Wambaugh.
- That'll Be Charlie Now: In a hotel reception. Lee, Jan & Tony discuss Charlie (Mike) - smokes 147 a day, has a pustulating sore on his nose, exposes himself to women (and men), spits in people's ears and sucks it out, grabs hold of men's (and women's) nipples and twists them.
- Film Dub: Two people on their honeymoon - Tony & Jan.
- Song Styles: Sink plunger. Mike (Motown).
- World's Worst: Things to say/do when making love.
- Rap: Banking.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Lee - Thinks he's in a play rehearsal, Jan - Air Hostess, Mike - Thinks he's Scarlet O'Hara.
- American Musical: Pulling out weeds in the garden, walking in the mountains in Northern Italy, and swimming.
Credits: In Shakespearian style.
First Broadcast: January 26, 1990 - Intro
Josie Lawrence, Arthur Smith, Sandi Toksvig, Mike McShane
Winner: Arthur Smith
- Film and Theatre Styles: One (of Josie & Arthur) interviewing the other for a job as a butler. Gangster Movie, Pantomime.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Housewife coming home to find a plumber up to his knees in water - Sandi & Mike. (Fado?) Farce, Sado Masochist, Rocky Film, James Bond Film.
- Film Dubbing: Returning home from holiday - Arthur & Sandi.
- Song Styles: Lemon Squeezer. Mike (Heavy Metal), Josie (Bob Dylan folk song).
- World's Worst: Person to go on holiday with.
- Props: Sandi & Mike - blue goop, Josie & Arthur - inflatable number 8.
- Party Quirks: Sandi hosts. Arthur - Shady Dealer (Spiv), Josie - Schoolgirl from a girl's comic, Mike - Possessed by the devil.
- Musical Producers: Bricklaying. Sandi & Arthur discuss, Josie & Mike perform.
Credits: As Sydney James.
First Broadcast: February 9, 1990 - Intro
Mike McShane, Chris Langham, Sandi Toksvig, John Sessions
Winner: Mike McShane
- Authors: "Flash Gordon going to Shangri-La". Mike - Dr Seuss, Chris - Jack London (in big print for the older reader), Sandi - Joy Francis, John - Alan Bennett.
- Film and Theatre Styles: A headmaster and pupil - Chris & John. Berkoff, Hammer Horror, Roman Epic, Thunderbirds.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Boss (Mike) falling in love with his secretary (Sandi). Fly on the Wall Documentary, Tarzan, Beach Movie, Film Noire.
- World's Worst: Person to go up into space.
- Props: John & Sandi - giant furry mushroom, Mike & Chris - Chinese paddle fan.
- Film Dub: A couple arguing over what to have for dinner - Sandi & Chris.
- Tag: Starts with John lying face down, Chris bending over, on one foot.
- Party Quirks: Sandi hosts. Chris - Finds everything baffling, Mike - Eskimo, John - Society Wit.
Credits: In as many foreign accents as possible.
First Broadcast: February 16, 1990 - Intro
Greg Proops, Josie Lawrence, Tony Slattery, John Sessions
Winner: Josie Lawrence
- Film and Theatre Styles: Arguing over the state of the bathroom - Josie & Greg. Flintstones, Robin of Sherwood, Home Movie, Burlesque.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Pawn Brokers - Tony & John. Shakespeare, 1960s Michael Caine, "Bearded Collie" (invented by an audience member), James Bond.
- Song Styles: Fish Slice. Josie (Ballad love song).
- World's Worst: Person to be arriving at a party.
- Rap: Dental Hygeine.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Greg - Robot, Josie - Peter Pan, John - A 60s Rock Musician.
- Advertisement: Odour Eaters - John (religious/ominous music).
- American Musical: Riding horses, a car crash, and going to see a film.
Credits: As a schoolmarm. (includes every single name!)
First Broadcast: February 23, 1990 - Intro
Ron West, Sandi Toksvig, Tony Slattery, Rory McGrath
Winner: Sandi Toksvig
- Authors: "Annie the Orphan, Get your Rifle". Ron - Kurt Vonnegut, Jnr., Sandi - Enid Blyton (Sr.), Tony - The Marquis de Sade, Rory - Desmond Morris (the 3rd).
- Film and Theatre Styles: Taking an animal to the vet - Ron & Sandi. Horror Movie, American Gangster, Walt Disney, Western.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two commandos in a submarine - Tony & Rory. Farce, Jackanory, Thunderbirds, Advert.
- Interview: Tony interviews Snow White (Sandi) - Rock magazine/fanzine.
- Interview: Rory interviews Rasputin (Ron) - TV-AM interview.
- World's Worst: thing to say/be/do at a funeral.
- Props: Tony & Sandi - horn, Rory & Ron - basket.
- Film Dub: Sandi & Ron.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Ron - "You think you are a reptile", Sandi - "You are having a secret affair with the host", Rory - Accident-prone.
Credits: As Mae West.
First Broadcast: March 2, 1990 - Intro
Josie Lawrence, Paul Merton, Tony Slattery, Mike McShane
Winner: Mike McShane
- Authors: "A Day at the Seaside in Singapore having a Hungarian Meal". Josie - Nursery Rhymes, Paul - Yakoshimo Okomo, Tony - ITV Continuity Announcer, Mike - Mark Twain.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Cindarella meeting the Fairy Godmother - Josie & Paul. Kung Fu, Oscar Wilde, 3-D, Billy Smart's Circus.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Mike recruiting Tony for his Magnificent Seven. Amateur Dramatics, Easy Rider, Tennessee Williams.
- Song Styles: Toaster. Mike (Gospel), Josie (Motown).
- World's Worst: Person to be stuck in a lift with.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Paul - Obsessed with trivial facts, Josie - Cave Woman, Mike - Narrating the party.
- Rock Opera: Carpentry, washing the car and Rugby (with Paul as 'Sponge Man').
Credits: As though he's just won an Oscar.
First Broadcast: March 9, 1990 - Intro
Josie Lawrence, Mike McShane, Paul Merton, Neil Mullarkey, Greg Proops, John Sessions, Tony Slattery, Arthur Smith, Ryan Stiles, Sandi Toksvig
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two drivers who've knocked into each other with their cars - Sandi & Mike. War Film, Agatha Christie, Science Fiction.
- Song Styles: Food Processor. Mike & Josie (Love Duet).
- Tag: Starts with Josie ("changing a lightbulb") and Neil ("brushing his teeth"). Ryan also appears.
- Interview: John interviews Peter Pan (Paul) - NME.
- Rap: Vets - Ryan, Josie, Neil, Mike.
- Props: Paul & Mike - net, Josie & Tony - wicker basket/trolley.
- Song Styles: Fish Slice. Josie (Hymn).
- Party Quirks: Sandi hosts. Tony - slowly inflating, Ryan - does everything twice, John - Roman emperor.
- Film Dub: Two people going to see a film - Sandi & Arthur.
- American Musical: Driving a car, going skiing, and getting up in the morning - Greg, Josie, Tony, Mike.
First Broadcast: March 16, 1990 - Intro
Archie Hahn, Josie Lawrence, Mike McShane, Paul Merton, Greg Proops, Jonathan Pryce, John Sessions, Tony Slattery, Arthur Smith, Ryan Stiles, Sandi Toksvig
- Film and Theatre Styles: A couple meeting on a blind date - Ryan & Sandi. Mel Brooks, Andy Warhol, Dog Film (misheard audience suggestion), Shakespeare, Woody Allen.
- Song Styles: Lemon Squeezer. Josie & Mike (Lloyd Webber Duet).
- That'll Be Charlie Now: At a train station. Josie, Paul & Tony discuss Charlie (Mike) - every time you say the word 'train' he starts to run an aerobics class, grinds up against people whose names start with the letter J, throws up into a galvanized bucket when he sees someone called Tony, spouts forth in a heroic style as if he's making a big speech, tries to swallow his own foot.
- Interview: Tony interviews Noah (Greg) - Children's programme.
- Rap: Dustmen - Josie, Arthur, Sandi, Mike.
- Bits That Went Wrong:
- Rap: Royalty - Mike.
- Story: An audience member suggest Norfolk as the country to set the story in.
- Rap: John - "Pinstripe ripe ripe... no, can't do it".
- Intro: Clive - "Hello and welcome to WLiiA? and this tonight... errrgghh!"
- Authors: Paul - "A zebra from Windsor Safari Park makes an interesting point. He says that in the IRA coverage recently on the... oh f*** off!"
- Rap: Fishing - Josie & Clive.
- Song Styles: Ironing Board. Josie (Jazz).
- Film Dubbing: Somebody taking a driving test - Paul & Tony.
- Party Quirks: Paul hosts. Archie - Lounge Singer, Jonathan - Mad Highland Dancer, John - A character from "The Great Escape".
- Musical Producers: Hairdressing. Tony & Paul discuss, Josie & Mike perform.