Series Five (1993)
5.01 / 5.02 /
5.03 / 5.04 /
5.05 / 5.06 /
5.07 / 5.08 /
(C = Compilation)
First Broadcast: March 5, 1993 - Intro
Greg Proops, Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Tony Slattery
Winner: Tony Slattery.
- Scenes From a Hat: Robin Hood selecting his Merry Men. Practising voodoo. Before toilet paper. The Princess and the frog. Kiss and tell. Librarian jokes. Two hairs left on Clive Anderson's head. Your worst nightmare.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Tony a passenger on a plane, Greg a friendly steward. Horror, Pantomime, Shakespeare.
- Questions Only: One (of Colin & Ryan) confronting the other over a girlfriend.
- Superheroes: Global warming. Greg - Undercover Elephant Man, Ryan - Man Who Talks Really Really Slowly, Tony - Flatulence Boy, Colin - Captain Ballerina.
- World's Worst: Person to take confession.
- Props: Colin & Ryan - big white plastic 'cornflakes', Tony & Greg - giant radishes/chillies.
- Scene to Music: Ryan is fixing Tony's fridge. Music: WW2-era love song (ballroom dancing).
- Standing, Sitting, Bending: In a chip shop/take-away food shop - Ryan, Colin & Tony.
- Helping Hands: Tony goes to Ryan (Greg's hands) to find out about pet care.
- Hoedown: Taking Exams.
Credits: As a Youth presenter.
First Broadcast: March 12, 1993 - Intro
Greg Proops, Russell Fletcher, Ryan Stiles, Josie Lawrence
Winners: Greg Proops & Ryan Stiles.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two people on a space station and there's some repairs going on - Greg & Ryan. Spiderman, Restoration Comedy, Escape Movie, Courtroom Drama.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two people camping in the Australian outback - Josie & Russell. Australian Soap, Spaghetti Western, Home Movie, Tarzan.
- Film Dub: Toothpaste Commercial (with subtitles) - Ryan, Josie & Greg.
- Song Styles: Lawn Strimmer. Josie (Irish Jig).
- World's Worst: thing to say before or during sex.
- Standing, Sitting, Bending: In a real estate agent's office - Greg, Ryan & Russell.
- Scene to Music: Going to a lost property office - Ryan & Josie. Big movie finale music (Casablanca?).
- Party Quirks: Greg hosts. Russell - sheep shearer, Josie - thinks she's a cat, Ryan - ice hockey player.
- Helping Hands: Josie going to Ryan for a nice quiet date, Ryan (Greg's hands) trying to propose.
- Hoedown: Hairdressers.
Credits: As two American TV film critics.
First Broadcast: March 19, 1993 - Intro
Jim Sweeney, Steve Steen, Paul Merton, Tony Slattery
- Authors: "Death of a Stand-Up Comic". Jim - Agatha Christie, Steve - Andrew Morton, Paul - "Hello!" Magazine, Tony - The rhyming couplets of Rupert Bear.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Tony a prisoner, Paul jailer. Horror, Children's Nativity, Film Noire, Doctor Who, Pirate Film.
- Foreign Film: "Going to Scotland" in Turkish. Jim & Steve act, Paul & Tony translate.
- Scenes From a Hat: Buying a doll with a pullout string. Deep sea divers watching a football match. A pecking order for fruit. Queen Bee selecting a suitor. Odd things to celebrate. Strange caveman inventions. Things you wouldn't expect to find in a kangaroo's pouch. Joyriding elephants.
- Props: Tony & Paul - heart shaped fans, Steve & Jim - ice cream scoops.
- Alphabet: A confessional, starting with 'J' - Paul & Jim.
- Scene to Music: At the greengrocers - Steve & Jim. Private Eye/Film Noire-style music.
- Party Quirks: Paul hosts. Steve - racing commentator, Jim - thinks host is giving birth, Tony - Chippendale.
- March: Vegetables.
Credits: Paul & Tony doing a football interview, Jim & Steve irritating people who get in the shot.
First Broadcast: March 26, 1993 - Intro
Greg Proops, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Tony Slattery
Winners: Greg Proops, Ryan Stiles & Colin Mochrie.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Sculptor and model - Greg & Tony. Tennessee Williams, Blossom, Baywatch.
- Film and Theatre Styles: First snorkeling lesson - Ryan & Colin. John Wayne, Erotic Thriller, Romantic Comedy, Biker Movie.
- Old Job, New Job: Tony & Colin kids in the kindergarten, Ryan teacher who used to be a cowboy.
- Film Dub: "Date that's gone wrong" - Ryan & Greg.
- Sound Effects: Arriving at the office. Colin acts, Ryan SFX.
- World's Worst: Clip from a nature documentary.
- Props: Colin & Greg - yellow foam letter P, Ryan & Tony - red pole with X on the end.
- Scene to Music: Two people in a supermarket - Greg & Ryan. 70s cop show/chase music.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Greg - character from a video game, Colin - thinks he is an ant, Ryan - motorbike stunt rider.
- Helping Hands: Ryan (Colin's hands) as a woman who is demonstrating a picnic to Greg.
- Hoedown: Motorways.
Credits: As Tony Slattery.
First Broadcast: April 2, 1993 - Intro
Greg Proops, Ryan Stiles, Josie Lawrence, Mike McShane
Winners: Greg Proops & Ryan Stiles.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Josie visiting Ryan in hospital. Disaster Movie, Bolshoi Ballet, Weepy.
- Song Styles: Paperweight. Josie & Mike (Love Duet).
- Whose Line: Getting volunteers in the trenches - Ryan & Greg.
- Standing, Sitting, Bending: Singles Bar - Josie, Greg & Ryan.
- News Report: Little Bo Peep. Greg - host Tongue Deeply, Ryan - expert Dr Lepus Wool, Josie - reporter Kineesha Din, Mike - Little Bo Peep and Mary Mary Quite Contrary.
- Song Titles: Laundrette.
- Party Quirks: Greg hosts. Josie - thinks she's a cow, Mike - river boat gambler, Ryan - president's bodyguard.
- Hands Through: Ryan (Greg's hands) mixing a cocktail for Josie.
- Musical: Coming third in a rock & roll championship, going to Australia, teaching a business course.
Credits: As two hecklers at a performance.
First Broadcast: April 9, 1993 - Intro
Greg Proops, Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Josie Lawrence
Winner: Ryan Stiles.
- Scenes From a Hat: Learning to catch a bullet between your teeth. The ultimate pop-up book. Four horsemen of the Apocalypse. A convention of wrestlers. Two prisoners who have shared a cell for too long. Dental floss seminar. Dog parties.
- Whose Line: A mugging - Colin & Ryan.
- Song Styles: Snail. Josie (Drunken Auntie).
- Superheroes: Massive earthquake (probably in San Francisco). Greg - Hamster Man, Ryan - Fidget Man, Josie - Woman Who's Shocked By Everything, Colin - The Rhyming Couplet Kid.
- World's Worst: person to sit next to on an airplane.
- Props: Josie & Colin - yellow hoops, Ryan & Greg - coloured flexible tubes.
- Scene to Music: Colin someone who is always borrowing Ryan's clothes. Dark night/western showdown music.
- Film Dubbing: Greg goes to Ryan for advice on how to get off with women. Josie woman.
- Helping Hands: Ryan (Colin's hands) explains to Greg how to make a pizza / gives him a lesson in 'pizzaology'.
- Party Quirks: Greg hosts. Josie - showjumper, Colin - Mr Universe contestant, Ryan - thinks he's a moth.
Credits: As somebody who's just been to the dentist.
First Broadcast: April 16, 1993 - Intro
Jim Sweeney, Steve Steen, Tony Slattery, Mike McShane
Winners: Steve Steen & Tony Slattery
- Scenes From a Hat: Things the stewardesses should really tell you about safety features. Worst job in the world. Olympic sports we'd like to see. Kissogram with bad news. Siberian National Theatre Open Air Presentation of Tarzan and Jane. "There's no such thing as a free lunch". Auctioneers at a party. What you didn't expect to find at the end of the rainbow.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two people stuck on a desert island for just a bit too long - Mike & Tony. El Dorado, Rock Opera, Punch & Judy, Science Fiction.
- Authors: "A Day in the Life of a Nursery School". Jim - Lewis Carroll, Steve - Jackie Collins, Tony - Disembodied head from the Sun TV commercials, Mike - Dr Seuss.
- Song Styles: Soap. Mike (MGM Musical).
- World's Worst: person to audition for Hamlet.
- Props: Steve & Mike - giant cherry, Jim & Tony - furry strip of material.
- Scene to Music: Guy in an office waiting for his secretary to arrive - Jim & Steve. Private Eye/Detective music.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Steve - Beethoven, Jim - madly in love with the carpet, Mike - Confederate Soldier.
- Bartender: Mike bartender. Steve - angry about constipation, Jim - drinking to forget impotence, Tony - in love with the barman.
Credits: As two people having a fight, with the other two contestants trying to stop them.
First Broadcast: April 23, 1993 - Intro
Stephen Frost, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Tony Slattery
Winner: Colin Mochrie
- Film and Theatre Styles: Two galley slaves - Ryan & Colin. School Play, American Soap Opera, Sesame Street, Chase Movie.
- Film and Theatre Styles: Tony has a go at Stephen's fairground rifle range. Kitchen Sink, Horror, B Movie.
- New Job, Old Job: Colin buys drugs from Ryan, Stephen a drug dealer who used to be a greengrocer.
- Whose Line: At a reunion of old chums - Colin & Ryan.
- World's Worst: Person to be a weather forecaster.
- Props: Colin & Ryan - giant letter T, Stephen & Tony - badminton shuttlecocks.
- Song Titles: In a restaurant - Stephen, Colin & Ryan.
- Film Dubbing: "Haddock Gel" commercial - Tony.
- Superheroes: A spaceship out of control near Uranus. Colin - Suction Man, Ryan - Leg Humping Man, Stephen - Erotic Film Director Guy, Tony - Royal Procession Commentator Man.
- Helping Hands: Ryan (Colin's hands) teaches Tony about wine tasting.
Credits: As somebody adopting as many positions as possible.
First Broadcast: April 30, 1993 - Intro
Russell Fletcher, Stephen Frost, Josie Lawrence, Mike McShane, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops, Tony Slattery, Steve Steen, Ryan Stiles, Jim Sweeney
- Superheroes: The world's leaders have been in an air crash. Greg - Jelly Man, Ryan - Orangutan Boy, Tony - Male Model Guy, Colin - Mr Continuous Unfunny Pun Man.
- Whose Line: Colin going to private detective Ryan because his wife is cheating on him.
- Song Styles: Shears/Secateurs. Josie (Love Song).
- Alphabet: Two pilots landing a plane, starting with 'Q' - Tony & Mike.
- Film Dub: Somebody looking for a new female lead in an opera - Josie & Ryan.
- Standing, Sitting, Bending: In the dentists' - Colin, Ryan & Tony.
- Props: Ryan & Josie - 3-pronged Boomerang/frisbee, Greg & Mike - grey cones.
- Questions Only: Colin come to buy a motorcycle from Ryan.
- Party Quirks: Tony hosts. Greg - Jewish mother, Colin - thinks he is a crab, Ryan - Olympic tobogganist.
- Bartender: Josie bartender. Greg - angry about being made redundant, Ryan - drinking to forget his wife, Mike - has a problem with bad breath.